Monday, October 14, 2013

a repost of an email "newsletter" to my friends about the first days

So I am writing first to say thanks for the really nice goodbye wishes and farewells and second to say I'm safe and happy in this new life.  I have jumped in with both feet despite all the fear.  I have been in Siles for a little more than 24 hours now and it's been non-stop Spanish.  Often I don't understand much but I try to hang in there and make sense of the few words I do know.  Also it's funny yet great that yes or no questions end in a certain enunciation which prompts one to answer yes or no.  Then you must read their face to know which they want you to say.  Hmm, seems funnier in the moment but probably you know what I'm talking about.  

Anyway, this little town is hosting 'la ferria de San Miguel' and it lasts for 4 days.  There is a big white tent with a stage, many vendors, and delicious food from the region.  Today I saw some real deal flamenco meaning there were about 20 gypsies dancing on stage and a few old grandma's dancing below.  Total immersion at it's best!  However many people warned me that this is a very special time and that usually the town is calm and quiet.  Of course I can believe it.  In just one view from the window you can see about 20,000 olive trees covering the hillsides of this little town (pueblo).  The land is public and protected and I've been promised many chances to go hiking (senderismo).  Which I am going to need or else gain 20 pounds before I leave.

What else?  Tomorrow I will go to the school to see what there is to see.  The high school here is very small but is the main school for students here in Siles.  Many students from a nearby town are bussed here daily.  The specialty at the school is cooking.  How much more perfect could this be?  Even the son of my host family wants to be a chef and his mother is a great cook too.  I told her I love to bake and word got around quickly.  Today I was asked by this sweet older woman to teach her to bake a pie.  I wished she asked about cookies but nonetheless, I will try. 

No comments:

Post a Comment