Monday, October 14, 2013

discovering the beauty of siles

hace dos semanas moví a siles....
two weeks ago i moved to siles....

And what an adventure it has become already!  First, the beauty of this place is breathtaking.  There just are not enough good words to explain so I´m going to post a few pictures of my surroundings. 





These are the olive trees when you look to the right.  Every direction seems to be the same.  The trees are harvested in November and December then the olives are turned into the most delicious "liquid gold", extra virgin olive oil!  The people here take great pride in their olive oil and put it in everything they eat.  The most common breakfast is half of a toasted white bread roll, drenched in olive oil, then smeared with freshly grated tomato.  Se llama tostada and it's delicious. 

Second, the school is filled with a good collection of some of the most curious and ambitious students I have ever had the privilege to teach.  They sometimes giggle with nervous energy to speak with me in English and for many the desire to communicate is so strong.  It's adorable how they begin slowly in English then become overwhelmed with excitement and finish the question or whatever in Spanish.  The youngest students are 12 years old and they certainly have more courage to speak than the 18 year olds.  I am in complete awe of their learning and the education system here regarding English.  There are Americans doing the same job as me but are instead working in kindergartens.  Spanish children here take English for their entire school career.  How I sometimes feel doomed that I learned English first because the urge to know more languages ends when you realize that the whole world can communicate in your mother tongue.
Here is the front of the school.  Notice the olive tree growing next to the dedication of the founder of the school.  One part the building used to be a church until the growing community requested more space.  The majority of the student body is bussed here from nearby pueblos.  There are about 500 students who attend this high school which is actually called instituto rather than escuela because it serves the upper level grades.  You can leave at 16 or stay and graduate with something like an associate´s degree at 18. 


Third and perhaps last for this post, I am fully immersed in the language and culture of Spain or more specifically Andalucía. There is a very distinct accent here which involves a nearly total elimination of the sound for the letter 's'.  At first I was truly lost but the silence is growing on me.  To explain, instead of mas o menos you will hear ma o meno.  Adios becomes adio; hasta luego, hata luego and so on.  The people here know that the way they speak is distinct and they have a great sense of humor about it.  As for me, I'm holding onto my 's' for as long as I can.  However my vegetarianism, well that is gone for now.  My host family prepares the most delicious home cooked foods and I refuse to refuse anything.  Eating is such an important experience and the best time for me to practice Spanish so I go in with all my senses.  Qué divertido!  What fun!  And so much more to come....

1 comment: